Preliminary Course 2013
Each year the School of Chemistry organises a Preliminary Course in Chemistry. This course is designed to help students who have not studied chemistry at leaving cert level. It is recommended for those who have attained ordinary level or less than grade C in higher level, leaving certificate chemistry to also attend. It is delivered prior to the start of the academic year and runs for one week.
The course is available to all students who accept an offer of a place in Trinity College and are intending to study chemistry in the First Year i.e.
- Science (TR071),
- Medicinal Chemistry (TR075),
- Chemistry with Molecular Modelling (TR074),
- Nanoscience, Physics and Chemistry of Advance Materials (TR076),
- Human Genetics (TR073),
- Earth Sciences (TR077),
- Engineering (TR032),
- Engineering with Management (TR038),
- Radiation Therapy (TR055),
- Dental Science (TR052)
- Dental technology (TR803).
There is a fee of €40.00 for the course, payable at the registration period. The course runs from Monday 9th September through until Friday 13th September 2013. Students are not obliged to attend all the sessions but the fee is standard.
The course is held before the start of the academic year proper and consists of a series of lectures and problem sessions. The latter will involve tutorial-group teaching (more details will be given at registration). All the material necessary for the course will be provided. A calculator will be needed in the problem sessions.
Registration for this course will take place between 9:00 am – 10:00 am on Monday 9th September directly outside the MacNeill Lecture Theatre (which is located in the Hamilton Building at the East End of College).
Pre-booking for this course is not necessary
On Friday 13th September there will be an on-line multiple choice test which is a self-assessment only, attendance at this is not compulsory.
- Attendance at the course does not represent a commitment to taking Chemistry as a first year option.
- If you wish to pay by cheque please make payable to: TCD No. 1 a/c
- Enquiries can be made to the School of Chemistry Office – telephone: 01 8961726.
Preliminary Course Lecture Notes 2013
- Preliminary Course Introduction
- Atomic Structure Lectures 1 & 2
- The Mole
- Titration Demonstration
- Atomic Structure Lectures 3 & 4 and Bonding
- pH and Acid-Base Reactions